On a recent trip to New Brunswick this year, I realized that my family cemetery was called (Germantown Cemetery) and this cemetery never was named as far as my mother Pearl (Butland) Geldart recalls other than Berryman Burial Ground.
Berryman Burial Ground is located in the woods on the south side of Route 114 in Germantown which is not the land of the “Ducks Unlimited” but the land of Germantown Section of the Shepody National Wildlife Area (Federal lands administered by Environment Canada under the Canada Wildlife Act). It is impossible to find this land without local help which is now occupied by Carvel Sheffer.
It has been stated that over 100 burials have taken place here. The Berryman family owned this land from 1820’s to 1954.
I hope to find anyone that could help me in finding all of my ancestors that are buried here.
Known Burials are:
- Anthony Berryman – Born 1810 Ballinberry Ireland – Died 10 July 1875, in Germantown has Headstone
- Hannah (Edgett) Berryman – Born 1802, Hopewell Hill NB. Died 24 Apr 1881 Germantown, – has Headstone
- Henry Moore – Born abt 1829 in Harvey NB, – Died 26 Mar 1907 son of Martha (Moore) Berryman burial confirmed in the Fullerton undertaker book
- Baby Boy Butland – Born 10 Dec 1926, Died 10 Dec 1926 son of Stanley E. Butland and Annie A.(Berryman) Butland, burial confirmed by family records, also there has not been anymore burials that took place here after this date.
- Newman Berryman – Born 20 Oct 1863 Riverside, A.C. NB Died 07 Apr 1923 son of Edward Berryman & Sarah Moore
Unconfirmed Burials are:
- George Berryman Born 1798 he is not shown in any records
- Martha (Moore first married name) second is Berryman she was born 1800 from Ireland she is the second wife of George Berryman she also not listed
- Edward Berryman Born 7 Jul 1837 also no records son of George Berryman
- Sarah (Moore) Berryman Born 20 Oct 1830 Died 10 Aug 1904 in the undertaker book states she was burried in Germantown, so which one was she is not in the cemetery book wife Of Edward Berryman, and I also believe she is on the home stead as my mother Pearl (Butland) Geldart recalls a head stone with the name Sarah on it.
- Henry Berryman has not been found anywhere (I believe he died as a child)
- Jane Berryman has not been found anywhere ( I believe she died as a child)
- Ann M. Berryman age 68 Died Jul 3 1904 she is not listed in cemetery book, but she is in Undertakers book as burried in Germantown. Buried on 5 Jul at 2 pm. I also believe she is the Mother of Joseph Berryman born 1859 died 1939 buried at cemetery #47